Saint Monica’s School

A series of informational panels highlighting the history of Saint Monica’s School, established in 1930 by six young nuns from Scranton, Pennsylvania for African American children during segregation. Many Saint Monica students went on to become leaders at the state and national level. The Diocese integrated in the 1950s, one of the first in state, and Saint Monica’s school closed in 1967. Acquired by the City of Raleigh in 2008, the former school now serves as a teen center for local youth.